Eva M. DeFranco
203-744-2150 (Ext. 3330) phone
EVA M. DeFRANCO practices primarily in the areas of Divorce Mediation and Collaborative Divorce. She also has decades of experience in Divorce Litigation, Negligence, and Commercial Litigation cases. She is an experienced mediator, collaborative practitioner, trial lawyer and negotiator, admitted to practice in both State and Federal courts. Attorney DeFranco is a member of the Family Law Section of the Connecticut Bar Association. She is a member of the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, the Connecticut Bar Association, and past president of the Danbury Bar Association. She served as the chairperson of the Danbury Family Bar Association for over a decade. In recognition of her leadership and service to the legal community, Attorney DeFranco was elected as a James W. Cooper Fellow. She has earned the AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell for both ethical standards and legal ability, representing the pinnacle of professional excellence. She has also earned the honor of being selected as a Super Lawyer for exhibiting excellence in the practice of Family Law.
Attorney DeFranco is committed to helping her clients reduce the turmoil inherent in the adversarial divorce process and guiding them to achieve their goals. She earned her certification as a divorce mediator in 2007 and a collaborative divorce attorney in 2005 in order to offer more options to clients getting divorced. She continues to sharpen her skills in order to ensure her clients the highest quality of service in collaborative divorce and divorce mediation. Attorney DeFranco has made substantial contributions to non-adversarial divorce in Connecticut. She is the founding member of the Collaborative Divorce Group of Western Connecticut and a member of the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals. She is a Board Member and past President of the Connecticut Council for Non-Adversarial Divorce. She is Co-Founder of the Connecticut Mediation Training Group and conducts basic and advanced mediation trainings for lawyers, mental health professionals and financial professionals throughout Connecticut on a regular basis. As recognition for her qualifications in family matters, she has served as a Special Master for the State’s Judicial Department for many years, making recommendations regarding settlement to litigants involved in the divorce process. She has lectured extensively on various topics of divorce mediation and collaborative divorce.
Additionally, Attorney DeFranco was an adjunct professor at Western Connecticut State University for ten years. She has been active in civic matters since she began her legal career in 1986. She has served on the boards of the Danbury Regional Commission on Child Care, Rights, and Abuse, Inc. (past president); the Women=s Center of Greater Danbury; the Western Connecticut Chapter of the American Red Cross; and as treasurer of the Stanley L. Richter Memorial Park Authority. She was also the Regional Chairperson of Connecticut Legal Services= Campaign for Justice for several years.
Attorney DeFranco is a Ridgefield native and currently resides in Sherman with her husband and dog. She is an avid vegetable gardener, hiker, golfer and potter.
Helping people divorce with dignity since 1986 through mediation, collaborative divorce practice, and negotiation.
Former Adjunct professor, Western Connecticut State University; Member of the Connecticut Mediation Training Group. Participated as a trainer in the following programs:
- Fall, 2014 – Basic Divorce Mediation Training – Two Day Basic Mediation Training
- Spring, 2015 – Basic Divorce Mediation Training – Two Day Training
- January, 2016 – Advanced Two Day Mediation Training
- Spring, 2016 – Supplemental Two Day Mediation Training
- September, 2017 – Conducted panel discussion on Review Counsel in Divorce Mediation for Connecticut Council for Non-Adversarial Divorce, Dinner Meeting
- October, 2017 – Connecticut Bar Association. Panelist on Mediation and Collaborative Divorce for Young Lawyers Committee
- Spring, 2018 – 40 Hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
- Fall, 2019 – 40 Hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
- Winter, 2020 – 40 Hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
- Winter, 2021 – 40 Hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
- Winter 2022 – 40 Hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
- Winter 2023 – 40 Hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Connecticut Bar Association, Family Law Section Member, Alternate Dispute
- Danbury Bar Association, Past President
- Danbury Family Bar, Past Chairperson
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, Member
- Connecticut Council for Non-Adversarial Divorce, Past President, Board Member
- Collaborative Divorce Group of Western Connecticut – Founding Member and President
- Judicial District of Danbury, Special Master
- Academy of Professional Family Mediators – Certified Advanced Practitioner
Awards and Distinctions:
- Danbury Bar Association – Pro bono
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent rating – 2014 to Present
- Super Lawyers – Recognized for Exhibiting Excellence in the Practice of Family Law
- Connecticut Bar Foundation, James W. Cooper Life Fellow
- Connecticut Council for Non-Adversarial Divorce, Leadership Award – 2014
- Connecticut Council for Non-Adversarial Divorce, Certificate of Appreciation for contributions to best practices in mediation and collaborative divorce – 2017
- Special Master – Danbury and Litchfield Judicial Districts
Collins Hannafin, P.C,. has provided quality legal services to clients in the Greater Danbury area for over 60 years. We serve business and individual clients from Bethel, Bridgewater, Brookfield, Danbury, New Fairfield, New Milford, Newtown, Ridgefield, Redding, Sherman, and Southbury.